Monday 24 October 2011

Music Industry

The music industry or music business sells compositions, recordings and performances of music. Among the many individuals and organisations that operate within the industry are the musicians who compose and perform the music; the companies and professionals who create and sell recorded music (e.g., music publishers, producers, studios, engineers, record labels, retail and online music stores,performance rights organisations); those that present live music performances (booking agents, promoters, music venues, road crew); professionals who assist musicians with their careers (talent managers, business managers, entertainment lawyers); those who broadcast music (satellite and broadcast radio); journalists; educators; musical instrument manufacturers; as well as many others organisations.


For a long time the music industry has been affected by illegal downloads and pirate copies. This means that people are listening to the music of artists without paying to hear the songs, meaning the band or singer doesn't get the money from you listening to their song, and therefore the people involved in making the music don't get the money they should. I for one can say for a while I did download music without paying for it, but now I buy all my music from iTunes. The fact that most teenagers don't buy music is simply because they don't have the money to buy C.D's and singles. The invention of Youtube however, helps the artist now, as Youtube have been placing adverts on, which means the money from the adverts go to the artist, and under the video of the song, there is now a direct link to iTunes where you can download the song. 


Nowadays, music is a big part in people's lives, mainly teenagers, as it is very common when you go out that you will listen to music some point during your day. Whether, it's on the radio in the car, taxi or bus. Maybe on your iPod, phone, iPad or M.P.3 player when you're alone. At home on your computer or laptop as well. The fact is people will always listen to music. People listen to music to calm down, to relax etc. When I'm just in my room on the computer, or doing homework I tend to listen to music on my laptop or on my iPad, but when I go out I'll listen to music on my phone. I either listen to my music privately using my headphones or I'll blast it so all my friends or family can hear it. 


I personally store all my music on iTunes because I buy most of my music from them anyway and therefore it's handier. I always have everything copied to Windows Media Player also just in case anything ever goes wrong with iTunes. I always have my music organised in alphabetical order of artists. This doesn't apply for my C.D collection though. I organise my C.D's in order of which case cover is more aesthetically pleasing. Personally I prefer having Records to C.D's or downloads, although C.D's are a close second. Despite this, I have more downloads than C.D's or records because they are just easier to obtain and cheaper. 


When every I like an artist I always make sure to check them out on Youtube first and if I like their music I will go on iTunes and download some of their work, and if I'm fond of them I'll buy all their other work. I always check if my favourite artists have twitter or Youtube accounts so then I can follow them and check for updates, as in new song releases or tour dates. I also like reading up on the artists to see what they seem to be like personally as well, because I find if the artists are genuinely nice and funny, you like them more. I also prefer it when artists are being themselves. What would really discourage me to buy music from a band is when you can tell they're being fake, also when they seem like they've been put together to make money  and actually have no real interest in the music they make. What always encourages me to buy money from bands is when you can just tell the music is their life and they write all their own songs, because then you can hear everything just comes from the heart and personally it just makes everything sound so much better. 


A lot of my friends and family don't pay for the music they download, but when it comes to artists they love, they make an effort to pay for their albums and merchandise. I used to be like that as well, but recently I've just bought all my music, because I tend to only listen to artists I love anyway. Whenever I think of downloading music online illegally it never really scares me because you just think, sure everyone does it and no one actually cares, so it doesn't actually phase you when you download music, and it generally doesn't bother you after it. My parents know I buy all my music anyway, because they always shout at me for spending all my money for going out on music, so I'm always borrowing more money off of them.


The Music Industry is being affected by illegal downloads, but I think due to the amount of websites out there at the moment where you you can buy your music makes up for it. Although the sales of C.D's and records have declined due to the increase of download sales, but I believe the Music Industry is even stronger now, due to the increase in people listening to music thanks to recent technology advancements for music devices, for example, 10 years ago you wouldn't have the option of downloading music to an iPod or phone, but now you can and therefore you make an effort to music everywhere you go.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent work - a detailed an honest reflection and your interest in the industry will I'm sure, help in the upcoming assessment.

    Miss Hunter 28/2/12

    ReplyDelete